O Allah, forgive me

Abu Hurairah,

may Allah be pleased with him, reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) relating from his Lord, the Exalted and Glorious, said: A servant committed a sin and he said: O Allah, forgive me, and Allah, the Exalted and High said: My servant committed a sin and then he came to realize that he has a Lord Who forgives... the sins and takes to account (the sinner) for the sin. He then again committed a sin and said: My Lord, forgive me, and Allah, the Exalted and High, said: My servant committed a sin and then came to realize that he has a Lord Who would forgive his sin or would take (him) to account for the sin. He again committed a sin and said: My Lord, forgive me, and Allah, the Exalted and High said: My servant has committed a sin and then came to realize that he has a Lord Who forgives sins or takes (him) to account for his sin. O servant, do what you like. I have granted you forgiveness, \ 'Abdul-'Ala' \ is not certain whether he said: Do what you like in the third or the fourth time.
Narrator: Abu Huraira updated: Muslim - Source: Sahih Muslim - or page number: 2758
Updated summary of the rule: It is true

عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم ، فيما يحكي عن ربه عز وجل قال " أذنب عبد ذنبا . فقال : اللهم ! اغفر لي ذنبي . فقال تبارك وتعالى : أذنب عبدي ذنبا ، فعلم أن له ربا يغفر الذنب ، ويأخذ بالذنب . ثم عاد فأذنب . فقال : أي رب ! اغفر لي ذنبي . فقال تبارك وتعالى : عبدي أذنب ذنبا . فعلم أن له ربا يغفر الذنب ، ويأخذ بالذنب . ثم عاد فأذنب فقال : أي رب ! اغفر لي ذنبي . فقال تبارك وتعالى : أذنب عبدي ذنبا . فعلم أن له ربا يغفر الذنب ، ويأخذ بالذنب . اعمل ما شئت فقد غفرت لك " . قال عبدالأعلى : لا أدري أقال في الثالثة أو الرابعة " اعمل ما شئت " .
الراوي: أبو هريرة المحدث: مسلم - المصدر: صحيح مسلم - الصفحة أو الرقم: 2758
خلاصة حكم المحدث: صحيح